Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I always wanted to be a MODEL, but . . .

Much, but not enough of my disgraceful past was spent in the rag trade flogging almost anything wearable (and sometimes unwearable) from fabrics to bras and girdles. My  most enjoyable time was with The Jenyns Patent Corset Company.

I was, of course, swamped with requests, demand even to walk the walk, strut my stuff on the catwalks of Milan, New York, Paris, London. I knew I could have been shining sun to Donyale Luna's moon. Modesty counselled me, "Cactus, don't give in to your pride. You've had a stellar career in The Industry already." So it was that Donyale Luna came to launch her Australian career at the famous Roselands Rainbow Fountain.

I was glad to be able to give Donyale her big break. I moved on to other challenges but when I retired from the glamorous, clamorous world of the catwalk, and the paparazzi, my heart drew me back to Roselands where I live in quiet retirement with my silky bantams, my scottish wolfhounds and my axolotls.
I have time now to reflect on my good fortune. It was only selflessness and humility which prevented me from working with such wonderful girls as Twiggy, Cheryl Tiegs, Wilhelmena, Veruschka and Jean Shrimpton and, of course, the legendary Donyale Luna.
This is my tribute to them.

No comments: